I'm posting my adaptation to her recipe:
For the cupcakes:
- 1/4 cup oil (vegetable/canola/olive)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 duck egg
- 2 tablespoons champagne
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- a few drops of almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated tangerine zest
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon King Arthur Gluten Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (+ 1 tablespoon, separated) powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons champagne
- Candied orange peel for garnish (optional - I opted out)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan with mini liners.
In a medium bowl, use a mixer to combine the oil, salt, and sugar.
Beat well for one minute until fluffy.
Add the egg, champagne, vanilla, almond extract, and orange zest and beat to combine.
Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
Beat lightly to combine—do not overmix.
Fill each muffin cup 1/2 to 3/4 full and bake for 15 minutes.
Test for doneness with a toothpick.
Allow the cupcakes cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
Yield: 24 cupcakes and 4 mini doughnuts (which I unfortunately overcooked) or 4 regular cupcakes
Personally, I much prefer mini bite-size cupcakes.
Beat the butter, powdered sugar, and 3 tablespoons champagne in a medium bowl.
If too wet, add the tablespoon of powdered sugar. If too dry, add 1 tablespoon champagne.
Frost cupcakes and serve.
They were a hit at the New Year's Eve party we attended :) What a great way to kick off 2012!!