Monday, January 30, 2012

beef & broccoli stir fry

Before I was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance, my former roommate & I came up with an awesome chicken & broccoli recipe.  It was drool worthy.  Since the diagnosis, I still haven't been able to quite perfect that recipe, but tonight I took a chance on gluten free beef & broccoli.  An added twist: my boyfriend isn't into my soy sauce of choice, San-J Tamari.  Another added twist: I picked up a bottle of San-J Gluten Free Teriyaki a couple weeks ago, not realizing it has my other nemesis, ginger. 
Tonight's variation included:
  • 3 tablespoons Lea & Perrin's Original Worcestershire Sauce (gluten free)
  • 1 tablespoon San-J Tamari
  • 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 tablespoon minced garlic
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
  • 1 pound beef for stir fry
  • (roughly) 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • rice 
  • broccoli or other veggies

  • In a 10 inch skillet, mix the first 7 ingredients and heat, stirring occasionally.  
  • Once hot, add the steak.  
  • Steak in a not-so-hot skillet will cook too slowly and may stick.  
  • Stir fry!  
  • Depending how you like your broccoli (or other veggies), you can add it now or after the sauce is done.  (Scott doesn't like broccoli, so I cooked it separately and stirred it into my own dish.)
  • Once cooked to your desired temperature, add the corn starch and stir well.  This thickens the sauce. 
  • Prep the rice.  I used minute rice.
  • Done!

Scott's one suggestion for improvement: more sauce!  Next time, I'll double - at least - the sauce recipe.  This has a nice spiciness, and it had something that reminded Scott of Skyline Chili.  (Random: Skyline has a gluten free menu.)

In other news, today I started a Facebook page and Pinterest.  Hello new addictions!  I've already gotten several great ideas for variations to make recipes gluten free and have had a few items repinned.

Happy eating!!

1 comment: