Saturday, December 31, 2011

fusian sushi

For lunch earlier this week, I decided to give FUSIAN in Downtown Cincinnati a try.  It had been highly recommended by one of my interns over the summer, but with my gluten and ginger issues, I was more than a little nervous to try this Chipotle-style sushi restaurant. Before the gluten intolerance was identified, my favorite rolls all included tempura and/or crab stick.  I've also learned that oftentimes vegetables (such as carrots) are soaked in a ginger solution before being added to a sushi roll. 

I'd skeptically checked out the menu online before going to the restaurant, a bright spot in Tower Place Mall.  Upon entering the location, I was quickly greeted by a staff member who came to greet me and explain the process.  I told him that I'd seen FUSIAN on Urbanspoon's handy list of Best Cincinnati Gluten Free Friendly Restaurants.  I informed him of my dietary restrictions, and he immediately went back on the line to have everyone change their gloves.  As soon as I said, "I'd like to try a chicken roll," Dave yelled back for some chicken with no marinade.  I didn't have to say anything!  In allergy world, that's a big deal.  Sure, it's how it ideally should be, but it's rare enough that it's quite impressive when it happens.

My meal was made carefully, and the roll was even cut with a separate knife in the back to prevent cross-contamination.  Again, I didn't have to feel like a pain.

My meal - a chicken, carrot, cucumber, & avocado roll; edamame; and a Sprite - was delicious, Jessi-friendly, fresh, and easy on the budget.  Mmm...
I also loved that their chosen containers are environmentally friendly and biodegradable.  The decor is also serene, with a pretty waterfall wall

I was even more impressed when the initial staffer came out once I was finished to tell me that they have a number of gluten free customers and to go over my menu choices for the future:
  • chicken
  • salmon
  • smoked salmon
  • tuna
  • any veggies
  • Avoid: steak (marinated), shrimp (tempura-battered), crab mix, crab stick, freshwater eel, sauces
My only recommendation: take some San-J Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce, now available from some locations in handy single use packets

Yep, I'll definitely eat there a lot in 2012 and recommend that you do, too, when you're in the area.  For more information on FUSIAN, check them out on Facebook or Twitter.

Thanks for reading.  Here's to a safe, happy, and healthy New Year! :)


Update 1/5/12:
They have Kikkoman Gluten-Free Soy Sauce and get a fresh rolling mat for food allergy folks. They're gooooood.

Update 11/30/12:
FUSIAN relocated in October about a block from their previous location to 600 Vine Street, next to Tazza Mia.  (This explains the crossed-out text.)  The new interior has a separate line for fax/catering orders, and it has a more open feel.
The staff still rocks with handling allergies. 
They also have a stand at Bengals home games and can accommodate gluten free foodies.


Fusian on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment