Sunday, December 11, 2011

shortbread: the most frustrating cookie i've met

Today was the annual gluten free cookie exchange with the Cincinnati Celiac Support Group.  Unfortunately Scott & I arrived terribly late due to the frustration of shortbread cookies.  A few months ago, I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill GF Shortbread Cookie Mix.  It happened to be 40% off but didn't expire until June 2012 or so.  When I thought of today's exchange, I thought this would be perfect.  Simple, Christmas-y, and traditional without being overdone, especially in the gluten free world.  The words "easy to prepare" definitely caught my eye.

The ingredients were simple - the mix, 1 1/2 sticks of butter, and 2 tablespoons of water.  The directions said it would look dry and crumbly.  Oh, it was:

I followed the next instructions and rolled it into a ball & smoothed it over, then tried to roll half of the dough out.  It's supposed to be rolled onto parchment paper and covered in plastic wrap, but that didn't work so well for me.  I tossed the dough back in the mixing bowl and added not 2 but 4 more tablespoons of water.  Repeat.  This worked much better.  I grabbed a star-shaped cookie cutter and tried to cut through the plastic wrap.  I got it, but they looked more like Patrick the Star than stars.  Eventually (realizing that it was already 3:15 and the exchange started 30 minutes away at 3:30) I rolled out the rest of the first half and threw it onto a cookie sheet.  (The second half is still in the fridge, awaiting further attention.  Tomorrow.)  I tossed my 12 stars and the circle of dough into the oven.  375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Not exactly my prettiest cookies (and they could use more butter for a taste that's more like Walker's, which I miss so much), but they were pretty popular at the exchange.

When we arrived at the exchange, this was the pretty spread of cookies.  (Like I said, we were late...)


I also took Rice Krispie treats, made with peppermint marshmallows.  Soon I'll post the recipes that folks brought: caramels, chocolate chip cookies with marshmallows, coconut macaroons.  Mmm.  

While I was cooking my cookies, Scott grabbed the mail.  One of my Christmas presents had arrived.  He wrapped it and insisted that I open it.  As soon as the shortbread went in the oven, I did.  He got me business cards (with cute little owls) & a business card holder for my blog and had created an email address specifically for it.  Love it!!

After the Bengals/Texans game, there will be the second drawing for December to Remember.  Here's the giveaway:
Comment and/or follow to be entered to win!!  If you're reeeeally lucky, you might also get a selection of cookies.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment