Monday, October 17, 2011

new meals on the go

Jungle Jim's has fantastic gluten free section - the largest in the Midwest - which makes me do a happy dance in the aisles.  New in those aisles: GoPicnic Ready-to-Eat Meals.  Some varieties are gluten free (and marked as such in a white font in the upper lefthand corner). 

I picked up the Turkey Stick + Crunch picnic-in-a-box, intending to keep it in my desk at work.  It was so tempting, the package didn't last the night.  (I was also trying a new frozen pizza last night that I wasn't feeling.)  This one contains:
  • Old Wisconsin Turkey Snack Stick
  • PopChips Barbecue Potato Chips
  • Mariani Ultimate Apricots
  • Sweet Perry Orchards Baja Blends Fruit & Nut Mix
  • Terra Nostra Organic Robust Dark Chocolate Square
It was yummy, and I was thrilled to learn that Old Wisconsin Turkey Snack Sticks are gluten free - my first Slim Jim type snack in 2 years!!  It was obvious that I'd have to pick up more when I was in the Fairfield area. 

The next time, this flavor was sold out, but I picked up two of the Steak Nuggets + Cheese meals - one for myself, one for my boyfriend's mom's gluten-free coworker.  We all have to stick together.  This meal has:
  • Jack Link's Premium Cuts Original Beef Steak Nuggets
  • Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers
  • Copper Cowbell Parmesan Peppercorn Gourmet Cheese Spread
  • Sweet Perry Orchards Ginger Zip Fruit & Nut Mix
  • Brown & Haley Almond Roca Buttercrunch Toffee
I haven't tried this one yet, but it's because I was a good girl.  I stashed it in my desk at work for those I-need-a-snack moments, also known as what I intended to do with the first GoPicnic meal.  Due to my ginger allergy, I gave away the fruit and nut mix. I also picked up a big package of Old Wisconsin Turkey Snack Sticks, which require refrigeration once opened.

If you need one ASAP and can't get to Jungle Jim's, it looks like they're available from GoPicnic and Amazon.  Enjoy!

In other news, NPR has a nice story today on Morning Edition on gluten free diets.

No comments:

Post a Comment