Tuesday, May 22, 2012

eating in las vegas: mon ami gabi

I'm a little ashamed that I haven't written at all during Celiac Awareness Month!  I'd intended to write more frequently this month instead of less, but things got all jumbled when I realized that the countdown to our vacation was on.

We spent the past week relaxing in Las Vegas and Newport Coast, California.  A friend from college had recommended watching the Fountains of Bellagio from Mon Ami Gabi - a cute French restaurant on the strip.  The patio has a terrific view of the fountains as they dance.  When I pulled up Find Me Gluten Free on my iPhone, it had a 5 star rating and 8 reviews - plus a dedicated & publicized gluten free menu and the promise of warmed gluten free bread!  We made a lunch reservation for our second day.

Our server was delightful, and the aroma of delectable food filled the air.  I was handed a gluten free menu (and it's advertised on the regular menu!).  I ordered a side salad, the all-natural chicken paillard with shallow-fry frites, and knew I'd want the crème brûlée.  Scott had the steak classique with shallow-fry frites.  Both the chicken and the steak had been pounded thin.  They were tender and flavorful.  Neither of us knew exactly what shallow-fry frites were.  I assumed they would be something like a shoestring French fry.  These were much better!  Wide but thin, they had a crunch similar to a chip but still with the substance of a fry.  The lemon butter and the herbs from the chicken rendered ketchup useless.
Before our food arrived, a gentleman brought out a loaf of fresh French baguette and gave it to Scott.  He put in an order of gluten free bread for me (below).  Both varieties came with a ramekin of sweet cream butter.
The crème brûlée was wonderful, making me realize that I'm bound to eat more of it at a Nordstrom Cafe Bistro in an attempt to relive this little getaway.
(I was too distracted by my own food to remember to take a picture of Scott's.  Guess we'll just have to go back!) 

I neglected to take a photo, but if you enjoy a variety of fine wines, you're in luck. We were surrounded by bottles of things like Dom Pérignon Rosé.

It was an excellent experience overall, and I'm looking forward to returning & checking out the other locations of Mon Ami Gabi.

Happy eating!  (And stay tuned for more food recommendations for Vegas & Southern California.)


Mon Ami Gabi on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment